Who is this Matthew Brown character, anyway?
Matthew is the current lead dev for Author Buzz. He also blogs for Author Buzz, Thanet Star, and on The Fantastic site of Lord Matt, super geek. When he is not blogging or writing code, Matt likes to write fiction. You might say writing is Matthew’s main passion in life. Were you to say that you’d probably be right too.
Matthew is dyslexic (which means his spelling is just the worst) but never one to let that hold him back, he loves writing anyway. Matthew chairs a local writers group which he helped to found back in 2013. He started it because for years he wanted to attend a writers’ group and couldn’t find one. Since then, he has discovered there are a whole bunch – which is just typical.
Matthew Brown’s preferred genres
Matthew is a big geek who loves Science Fiction and Fantasy. He likes hard sci-fi and softer space opera stuff too. Anything that’s good for daydreaming and asking questions like “what if…?”
Matthew’s work has been favourably compared to Douglas Adams more than once. This made him grin like a loon because he loves Douglas Adams’ work.
His first two stories (on this site) are “Legend” (magic and folktales) and “That Story with the cat in” (very, very soft and silly sci-fi). However, sitting on his hard drive is a huge cache of novels and short stories in various states of readiness.
- Oh crap, not another one – a novel about Vampires that is frankly a bit weak.
- The Reluctant Wizard – a satirical romp through things Matthew daydreamed about including something that looks like Jedi’s vs Daleks. (No really).
- The Reluctant Druid – the story of a drug taking looser who has to make something of himself because he may or may not be the promised one. Guess what it is a tangential sequel to…
- The Last Boy – This one is actually pretty good even if it does build on ideas set up in the other three weaksauce attempts.
- Maud – this is a novel that Matthew is working on with the intention of submitting it to an actual publisher. It’s about as close to “serious” writing as he has come.
What they, and the stories published here, have in common is that they are linked. How they are linked is complicated.
This is a story that riffs on folktales and is not what you think it is. Each chapter is just long enough to be interesting and just short enough to read on a coffee break. The protagonist is called Malial.
Everything you think you know about this story is wrong.
This story was written purely to have fun. It borrows characters from other works in progress. The cat is called Normal. It talks.
You are probably right about most of the assumptions you make about this story. Unless you are wrong.
Matthew’s Author Buzz blog exists only for him to share his stories. He has other blogs for politics, code, geekiness, random thoughts, dieting, making money, and… Damn! Does this guy like to blog, or what?
If you have enjoyed his stories here then subscribe to the blog and you will be notified when there are new entries.